Here’s a list of some of the most common mistakes made in applying for benefits:
1. Not applying soon enough.
2. Taking ‘no’ for an answer – not appealing a denial.
3. Taking ‘yes’ for an answer – accepting a late onset date and thus reducing the back benefit award.
4. Not reapplying if a condition becomes worse after the appeal time.
5. Not requesting prior applications be reopened.
6. Not considering psychological aspects of illnesses.
7. Not verifying that all medical records are in the file.
8. Believing that a simple note from a doctor saying you are “disabled” is enough to win.
9. Filling out claim forms before talking to a legal advisor.
10. Not knowing that you can be eligible for workers’ compensation, VA benefits and other private insurance programs AT THE SAME TIME as SSI or Social security disability.
Please let us know if you have questions about any of these issues.